Tuesday, June 29, 2010

EwokOne


Hey everyone, I'm at Carnegie Mellon right now, at this six-week art program, and there's a substantial amount of homework, so my posts may be somewhat sporadic, but I'll probably be able to post once or twice a week. Today, I'll be talking about two street-artists with very different styles. The first is EwokOne, and to be honest, I cant tell you a lot about him. This is because there is an absolute dearth of information about the artist himself, which I guess is a good thing because it keeps the focus of the public on his art. However, he does keep a blog where he talks about his projects and stuff he likes - sound like anybody you know? ahoh-hoh-hoh.

As for his art, he makes it with a few helpers, and they split up the lineart and coloring and stuff. Aficionados will have to pardon my ignorance of street art jargon, cause I don't really know what things are called, but I guess I can still talk a bit about what I think of his art. To start, I like it. His tags largely bear a generic graffiti style, which isn't innately bad, but not really worth mentioning; it's cool, at least. What I am far more interested in are his works on paper and canvas. Though some of his characters do manifest on city buildings, most are confined to other mediums, which is a shame because most of them are great. By the nature of street art, much of his work is social commentary, and he uses bizarre and familiar characters, often collaged with newspaper, stamps, and money to express his ideas. His paintings have the loud, bold style of graffiti, paired with subtler textures and details more common to gallery stuff. See for yourself.


Hope you like this stuff.
Thanks,
Daniel Christensen

No comments:

Post a Comment