Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Inspiration



Or maybe it's restlessness. At any rate, my art anxiety has driven me to decide to try to make either some kind of comic or animation. Right now, I'm leaning towards a comic. At any rate, for the first time in a while, I am earnestly busy (thinly veiled excuse for my spotty posting.) While the picture above isn't fantastic, I'm pretty happy with the style and I've been drawing a lot of things like it.
In order to make this post feel more legitimate, I'm going to talk a bit about what's been inspiring and influencing me. Stylistically, my recent stuff is looking a lot like a new cartoon that's coming to the Cartoon Network, and if you've seen it, you will know what I'm referring to.
Adventure Time's the name and I'm trying not to be too similar to what the creator Penn Ward is drawing. If I decide to comic, I think the similarities will become less noticeable, and will mostly amount to hats and bendy limbs.
A video worth watching:


There are other sources of inspiration that I think will not really manifest outside of a comic or animation. I like the idea of using historical events as settings, and working in Norse mythology, which tends to be rather silly in a very hardcore way. In an effort to avoid seeming preachy, I think Calvin and Hobbes can serve as a very effective model of what to do and more importantly, what not to do when trying to achieve subtlety. The humor of Flapjack, as well as its renditions of classic archetypes are both very interesting, and will probably emerge in any stories I come up with. Finally, while I am unsure how it will show itself, I feel the Katamari franchise will have influenced me strongly enough, either with its music, humor, or art direction, to appear in some yet unknown way, but that stands to be revealed later.

Here's a gift to you: Katamari Tunes!

-Love, Daniel

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Kate Beaton!

No comments:

Post a Comment