Friday, February 12, 2010

Smith Westerns


I hated most of my favorite bands at first. I don't know why this always happens to me, but it does. Then, I hear one song, and I'll listen to it over and over again, craving more stuff like it. Then, slowly but surely, I'll end up listening to (and liking) other songs by the band. Smith Westerns are no exception.

They're a bunch of high school kids who started out as your traditional shitty high school garage band, but then started listening to too much T-Rex and David Bowie and morphed their sound into a kind of psychedelic-garage kinda thing. They've toured and played with bands like Girls, Nobunny, and Best Coast, which should give you a better idea of what they sound like than my pathetic attempt at describing their music does. They're on tour right now (go get tickets!) and they'll be stopping in DC in April, which should be awesome.

Here's a link to their myspace, I'd recommend listening to Imagine, pt 3, which is my favorite song of theirs and probably their best (of course, it didn't appear on their album). http://www.myspace.com/smithwesterns

This'll be my last post for a couple days since I'll be out of town (although we don't really post every day anyway), so I'll throw in a couple mixes to this post.

Here's one that you ought to listen to late at night: http://8tracks.com/discretemath/oh-my-is-it-ever-late

And here's one of Daniel's that's pretty rockin' (I've got a hard copy that I play pretty much whenever I drive.) : http://8tracks.com/discretemath/fresh-ish-tunes

- Alec

No comments:

Post a Comment