Friday, March 5, 2010

Not Afraid to Love Frightened Rabbit


Frightened Rabbit: Great, great, great Scottish band. It's kind of hard for me to describe their sound with an adjective other than Scottish. They (to me at least) epitomize the Scottish music scene at the moment, and they've been a major inspiration for other great scottish bands (The Twilight Sad, We Were Promised Jetpacks). Plus, the singer (Scott Hutchinson) has got a pretty thick (although easily understandable) accent.

These guys got a good bit of attention after putting out their album The Midnight Organ Fight in 2008. All of it was well deserved I think, the album was quite good, although I am still angry at myself for thinking the title actually referred to organs (instrument) instead of being a euphemism for sex (which, considering the album is mostly about his breakup, should have been pretty obvious.)

Anyhoo, they just put out their a new album, The Winter of Mixed Drinks, on March 1, and boy, is it good. It maintains their gloomy-ness and much of the overrall sound is similar (which is a good thing), but it sounds much more mature. As an album, I think I prefer it to The Midnight Organ Fight, but my favorite songs are still mostly from their previous effort (I probably haven't just haven't had enough time with the new one yet).

You can stream the whole thing here, on NPR: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124085431 If you've only got a short amount of time, my favorites at the moment are probably Swim Until You Can't See Land, The Loneliness and the Scream, and Skip the Youth.

Here are my favorite tunes from Midnight Organ Fight:





Hope ya enjoy - Alec

No comments:

Post a Comment